E ngā reo, e ngā mana, e rau rangatira mā
Tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēna tātou katoa
Engaging effectively with Māori
If your work in the public sector involves providing services to Māori communities or groups, or you are involved in planning, implementing and reviewing Māori initiatives, The Skills Organisation's Public Sector Māori programmes can help boost your effectiveness whilst achieving a highly regarded tertiary qualification.
What's more, because you can continue working while you are learning, there are no classrooms, lectures or student loans.
Our programmes are delivered in your workplace environment, and lead to nationally recognised, transferable qualifications that staircase to further learning, so are designed to help you forge a career across the public sector.
Programmes that suit you
We’ll work with you and your manager to develop a programme that will formally recognise your existing skills, and set out a learning pathway for your future development.
The content of the programme will be relevant to your workplace and organisation, and aligned with standards on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework, so you will gain a formal tertiary qualification. You will also have direct assess to, and great support from, your programme facilitator.
The skills covered in this programme include:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with Māori stakeholders
- Public sector Māori engagement
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi / the Treaty of Waitangi
- Understanding key concepts related to hui, tikanga and kaupapa Māori
- Public sector core skills.
Public Sector Māori programme
This programme leads to the NZQA-approved National Diploma in Public Sector Māori qualification.
National Diploma in Public Sector Māori Level 5
The Public Sector Māori programme recognises a range of competencies required for public sector employees delivering services to Māori on behalf of the Crown. This may be in the capacity of community development, funding advisor, community education or similar roles.
The programme comprises of five modules to be delivered over 24 months, with five full day facilitated workshops. The cost of the programme is $1,350.00 + GST, which includes facilitation of five workshops, resources, conference calls, on-going support and assessment.
- Knowledge of the structure and role of the State sector, Parliament and Government
- The nature and use of information in the State sector
Effective business writing skills.
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi in respect to the State sector
- The history of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and its principles in relation to Māori and the Crown
- Ethics in the New Zealand public sector.
- Facilitating hui with Māori stakeholders
- Engagement with Māori
- Developing and maintaining relationships with internal and external Māori stakeholders
- Responsiveness strategies for Māori.
- Knowledge of kaupapa and tikanga Māori
- Knowledge of organisations representing Māori
- Formally representing a public sector organisation
- Using effective business writing skills.
- Public sector requirements for the provision of services
- Managing projects
- Administering government grants through a public sector organisation.
Upon successful completion of this programme, you will achieve the National Diploma in Public Sector Māori Level 5.
The workshops will be promoted via the Events calendar on this website.